Your request has been submitted successfully!! We will contact you soon
About Carolyn Crampton
San Francisco-based artist, Carolyn Crampton, paints still life works including her rabbits or another sentient animal with it's own thoughts gazing out at the viewer.
In some cases, paintings feature a human world inhabited by animals. Some of the arrangements echo classical post-hunting scenes of dead game. The addition of contemporary items, such as cast-off toys or sporting equipment, comment on modern American life, our collections of stuff and our feelings about animals. The animals become a witness to the scene, yet removed because of their species. They may interact with the items but they possess a different relationship to them. By portraying everyday objects in a realistic style, the common becomes nostalgic and humorous. The artist is in a conversation with classical painters who treated their animal portraits with romanticism to sentimentalism to kitsch. Crampton starts directly on canvas with a brush sketch, and then builds up the painting layer by layer, using a glazing technique to depict her imagery. The key color stripes are included to kill the illusion of space and to add a musical rhythm. Carolyn Crampton was born in Larchmont, NY, and received her BFA from the University of Colorado. Crampton has exhibited in in many juried competitions and gallery shows.
B.F.A. in Painting, University of Colorado, Boulder.
“Local artists catalog”, Potrero View, April 2015.
American Art Collector 2015, Alcove Books, Berkeley, juried by Howard Eige and Jan Christensen-Heller.
International Contemporary Artists, Volume 8, I.C.A. Publishing, 2014, juried.
Women, Trauma and Visual Expression by Amy Stacey Curtis, WTVE, Portland, ME, 2005.
Selections Exhibit Catalog, 1997.
Whispers Exhibit Catalog, 1997.
“Fixing the Earth,” Badé Museum catalog, 1994.
“Trees Cause Rain,” Noe Valley Voice, May 1994, p. 11 & 13.
Static Magazine, San Jose, Issue 8, 1993.
Herb Caen, “Monday Mixmeister”, San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco, April 20,1992.
“Artists!,” Vox Art Magazine, Winter, 1991.
Eight Days A Week, San Francisco Bay Guardian, April 11, 1990 and July 19, 1989.
Group Exhibitions Selected
• 2019 “Play Date”, Harrington Gallery, City of Pleasanton, CA.
• “Advanced”, Office of Senator Scott Weiner, State Building, San Francisco, curated by Joseph Abbati.
• 2018 Art Battle, live painting competition in San Francisco.
• “Spring Allure”, Back to the Picture Gallery, San Francisco, curated by Marta Castrillo.
• 2016 Mission Bowling Club, ArtSpan, San Francisco.
• 2015 “Make It Work”, Studio Gallery, San Francisco.
• 1993 Spectrum Gallery, San Francisco, curated by Adrienne Fuzée.
• 1993 Opts Art, San Francisco, curated by Wallace Gorell.
• 1992 Alligator Gallery at the Bayfront Gallery, San Francisco.
• 1992 “Fire Art Project”, installed at Alta Bates Hospital, juried by City of Oakland.
• 1990 “7 After Eve”, Artists Television Access, San Francisco, exhibition and performance.
• 1987 Spring/Fall Open Studios at Hunters Point Shipyard, San Francisco, annually to present.
• 2016 “Art of the Toy”, Arts Benica, Benicia, juried by Tony Natsoulas.
• 2016 Still Life: Past, Present, Future, Ube Gallery, Berkeley, CA, national, juried.
• 2008 “The State of Painting” Bay Area Painters, ArtWorks Downtown, San Rafael, juried.
• 2008 “Landscape at Risk”, Coconino Community College, Flagstaff, AZ, juried.
• 2008 AXIS 3rd National Juried Exhibition, Sacramento, CA.
• 2007 Beyond Fiction, Artwork Gallery, San Francisco, juried.
• 2005 Gallery Route One, Pt. Reyes, CA, juried by Phil Linhares.
• 2004 Best of the West, 11 E Ashland Gallery, Phoenix, AZ, juried.
• 2004 Fremont Art League Annual, Fremont, CA, juried by William Yokoyama.
• 2001 Art Works Downtown, San Rafael, juried.
• 1999 Selections from Open Studio, juried.
• 1997 Art of Collage and Assemblage, Arts Benicia, juried by Phillip Linhares.
• 1997 Selections from Open Studio, Academy of Art College Gallery, juried.
• 1995 California Dreaming, Bayfront Gallery, curated by Phillip Linhares.
• 1993 “Fixing the Earth,” Badé Museum, Berkeley, juried.
• 1993 Annual 2D Competition, San Jose Art League, juried.
• 1993 Invitational, The New England Fine Art Institute, Woburn, MA.
• 1992 Skyline College Gallery, San Bruno, juried competition.
• 1992 Gallery Arcade, Old Oakland, juried.
• 1992 Works Gallery, San Jose, juried.
• 1992 Gallery Route One, Point Reyes; curated by Ann Chamberlain.
• 1992 Annual Bay Area Exhibit, ACCI Gallery, Berkeley; curated.
• 1989 Marin Society of Artists Open Exhibition.
• 1988 Sun Gallery and Hayward Area Forum for the Arts, Hayward, juried.
One–three Person Shows
• 2019 “Anaheeda/Carmi/Crampton” at Goodman2 Art Space, San Francisco.
• 2016 “Anaheeda/Carmi/Crampton” at Goodman2 Art Space, San Francisco.
• 2003 Carolyn Crampton plein air landscapes, The Sequoia’s, one-person show, San Francisco.
• 2002 Fetterly Gallery, Vallejo, three-person show, curated by Dan Robeski.
• 1999 WORKS Gallery, San Jose, three-person show.
• 1995 Inaugural exhibit, Duveen Gallery, Burlingame, CA.
• 1992 Inaugural exhibit, Azido Arts Gallery, San Francisco, three-person show.
Corporate Ar t Exhibits, selected
• 2000 3COM, San Jose.
• 1996 Network General Corp, Menlo Park.
• 1996 3COM Corporation, Santa Clara.
• 1996 Synopsys, Mountain View.
• Nektar Therapeutics, San Francisco, CA.